Pages

Search All Things 40K

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Effect of 5th Edition on Dark Angel Vehicles

I've had some rather good quality time with the new Rule Book, and I do think it's put together very well; everything is sectioned off appropriately, I don't feel like I have to search very hard for the specific rule that I'm thinking of.

Don't get me wrong with what I'm getting to here, I have no real complaints about the new system. Rather, I think it looks quite polished and am looking forward to testing it out with my usual gaming group. Work's been rather busy lately, so I haven't had too much time.

Vehicles. I'm not going to get into the mathhammer of it all, but vehicles appear to be a bit more durable. No more popping tanks with glancing shots. All of this sounds right, even if it means ditching my Eldar Vibrocannons... So, our vehicles have become more durable ... but there was another detail that caught my eye, which specifically relates to Space Marine Vehicles... The change in "Defensive Weapon" classification.

Defensive Weapons used to be anything S5 and under. Now, it's anything S4 and under. The distinction doesn't have much effect on any of the xenos, but for Space Marines it is a very specific distinction: Heavy Bolters. Heavy Bolters are S5, meaning they are no longer Defensive Weapons.

Talking just about tanks here, if you do not move you can fire all weapons. Up to 6" (combat speed, now) you can fire one Main Weapon and all Defensive Weapons. 6"-12" (cruising speed) you cannot shoot. If your vehicle is "fast" everything moves up a category.

Back in 4th edition, a Predator could move 6", shoot its Main Weapon (the turret) and both sponsons (if you took Heavy Bolters). Now, to get the same effect from your Predator, you will have to sit still. One of the reasons I liked the Predator was its ability to maintain heavy fire from all three weapons while also moving about the battlefield (albeit at 6"). With this gone and the Predator being limited to move or fire (or move with one gun), I have to wonder if it is worth it anymore. I'm not sure, but I've bought a Land Raider just in case it's not. Hey, if I'm going to be sitting still and shooting, might as well make it a Land Raider.

Something else that's been affected by this? Ravenwing. Remember those cool Landspeeder Tornadoes? The ones with a Heavy Bolter and an Assault Cannon? Yeah, the only way you can fire both weapons in one turn is by moving 6" or less, since you're a fast vehicle. Not much of a 'speeder' anymore. Moving up to 12" will force you to choose between firing off your Assault Cannon OR the Heavy Bolter. With this change, I'm considering more standard Landspeeders and less Tornado upgrades. I already have one Tornado built, but I don't think I'll build anymore.

Anyone find any that I missed? How about all you filthy xenos, have the vehicle rule changes affected you much? (Tyranids not invited to this party as they have no vehicles... and can't control themselves in social settings. There, I said it.)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Analytics