Pages

Search All Things 40K

Monday, January 28, 2008

Wraithlord







Wraithlords are psychic constructs of bone piloted by the spirit of a particularly powerful Eldar's Spirit Stone. Basically, they're the walking dead. With this in mind, I approached painting this model to be as ethereal as possible. A lot of the pieces were highlighted as if bottom-lit as opposed to a standard lighting scheme, to give a hint of 'weird' or 'other-worldly.' Also, the blade itself is a Wraithsword, an entity powered by its own spirit-stone. The sword acts like it has a mind of its own, and as such I gave it a slightly different color-scheme to make it stand out. I liked the effect of the pinkish fade on the box art for the model itself, and decided to go with a similar (but green) effect for mine.

As with most of the Eldar, I wanted this model to be as specialized as possible role-wise. I've seen a few 'lords modeled up with just guns, and I can appreciate using them in that way ... but I can't justify to myself NOT taking advantage of the model's Strength 10. Strength 10, people. Give him a Wraithsword, and he's now allowed to re-roll failed to-hit rolls. This sets him up perfectly to be a great anti-tank and anti-independent character. Strength 10 means most characters will get insta-killed. To keep him in this role, yet increase his efficiency, I've also equipped him with a Brightlance. Now, he can shoot at the same targets while he tromps over towards them.

A disadvantage of the Wraithlord is his 'wraith-sight.' The chances are small, but if he's not near a warlock/farseer, he could possibly sit and do nothing for a turn. I plan on having a squad of 10 Wraithguard accompanied by a Spiritseer in this army, and they would be the perfect squad to slog along with. Failing that, there is the Farseer himself with his retinue that he can follow around.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Analytics